Sunday 21 February 2016

Identities and Film: blog task

In 1954, the researchers Manfred Kuhn and Thomas McPartland conducted an experiment, known as the TST (Twenty Statements Test) in which they asked the participants to answer the question “Who am I?” twenty times. People would be encouraged to think of all the different roles they have in their lives. The test reveals that people don’t have one single identity, but many identities that they move in and out of depending on the situation they find themselves in.

I am a male (Social groups and classifications)
I am a teenager (Social groups and classifications)
I am a student (Social groups and classifications)
I am a footballer (Interests)
I am a brother (Social groups and classifications)
I am creative (Self-evaluations)
I am interested in music (Interests)
I am interested in sports (Interests)
I am friendly (Self-evaluations)
I am funny (Self-evaluations)
I am ambitious (Ambitions)
I am lively (Self-evaluations)
I am fun (Self-evaluations)
I am kind (Self-evaluations)
I am laid back (Self-evaluations)
I am someone who enjoys solving problems (interests)
I am religious (Ideological beliefs)
I am helpful (Self-evaluations)
I am appreciative (Self-evaluations)
I am loyal (Self-evaluations)

My favorite film is Boyz N the Hood because of it's realism. I think that this says something about my character because i am into those types of movies. I think that the reason it is one of my favorite movies is that it shows a refreshing change in the typical stereotypes with one of the main characters Ricky being a successful black college student. It also addresses some of the issues that are still going on today such as police brutality and black inferiority. 

LGBT Films:
Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert)
Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme) 
The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee) 
The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko) 
Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)

No comments:

Post a Comment